Sunday, April 1, 2012

Roots & Wisdom

Roots & Wisdom is where my interest in the environment started. Roots & Wisdom is a community agriculture program that focuses on youth, specifically teens. Roots & Wisdom brings together the diverse population of the county. Teen can participate in a six week job program during the summer. Not only do the teens work in the garden to grow the plants, but they participate in workshops on topics in sustainability and community building, team building exercises, work with six to eleven year old children in the children's garden program, sell produce at a road side stand, and facilitate events in the garden for visiting groups.

I was and remain the only teen worker from the rural part of the county. Working at Roots & Wisdom gave me the opportunity to be exposed to diversity and to the idea of sustainable agriculture. I formed great friendships, learned a lot, step outside of my comfort zone, learned life and work place skills, and met many amazing people. I even met my future college roommate in the garden. I was inspired to chose a career path that would lead to sustainability and/or the environment.

I enjoyed my experiences with Roots & Wisdom very much. I worked as a youth worker during 2008 and 2009. Last summer, I returned as a crew leader and led the Events Crew in daily garden tasks and in planning and running events in the garden. I taught the youth how to give tours, design and run workshops, and lead children's groups in the garden. This summer, I will return as an intern as the Events and Outreach Coordinator and will expand upon the role I had as the events crew leader. I will train everyone how to facilitate events in the garden, I will coordinate with groups who would like to visit, and I will search for founding opportunities for this nonprofit organization. I am very excited to be working on a different part of this program.

If you would like to learn more about Roots & Wisdom, follow this link to their website. I believe urban agriculture programs for youth can make a great difference in the community and in the lives of the people who participate in the program. I encourage everyone to get involved with agriculture in some way. Being outside, especially with others, can be a very enjoyable experience and gardening is a great pastime.

No comments:

Post a Comment